Yesterday I finally perfected my recipe for a vegan french toast that isn’t just slimy bread!
I wanted it to include as few specialty ingredients as possible, but I can’t seem to replicate the eggy texture of french toast with and other egg substitutes than chickpea flour.
So without further ado, here’s my recipe!
makes 2 large slices of toast
- 1/3 cup of plant milk
- 2 large slices of bread (this is really good with sourdough)
- 4 teaspoons (1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) chickpea flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of ginger
- cinnamon to taste (i prefer a ton)
- a pinch of salt
- toppings (powdered sugar, walnuts, syrup, fruit, etc)
Very simple procedure: combine plant milk, chickpea flour, vanilla extract, and spices in a wide flat bowl. Mix well with a balloon whisk or fork. Preheat a large pan or griddle to medium heat. Once the pan is heated and greased (or nonstick), carefully saturate the bread in the milk mixture and move the bread immediately to the heated pan. Cook until each side i slightly darker than golden brown. Top with whatever you please!